Tuesday 18 March 2014

Confirming My Suspicions

Agriculture and raising animals is a massive part of who I am. I was born into it and I was raised in the country. I lived and breathed mixed farming throughout my childhood. I still do. The difference is now I choose to do it of my own accord. I choose to rear animals into adulthood for human consumption. I choose to take responsibility for their well being and I choose to put their welfare above my own. 

When I'm on the farm I will put aside any squeamish feelings because I have to make sure the sheep have clean water in their dams. I'll check the dams with low water every day to make sure the animals I have responsibility for are safe and healthy. When the spring weather gets warm and wet I'll check the sheep regularly so I can treat any fly blown animals. When I'm marking lambs I'll pull out any animals that are not going to make it and put them down. This may sound harsh but it is kinder in the long run than letting them back out into the paddock for a fox or eagle to kill. 

When I'm on the station I put aside any exhaustion levels to chase water. If a tank is empty then the trough is not going to refill. Cattle require a lot more water than sheep and it's a whole lot hotter up here, so hydration is key. No matter if it's 8 at night or 4 in the morning, when the generator needs starting I start it. Whether I'm tired or pushed for time I make sure I clean troughs that require it. If the water is dirty, cattle aren't going to drink the fluids they require. When a cow is not healthy I do everything in my power to bring it back to health and if that isn't possible I will put the animal down instead of letting it suffer. 

How does this confirm my suspicions? Every single person on the farm feels exactly the same way as me. They all choose to take care of their animals. Every single person on the station has the same drive to keep their animals healthy and happy. Guess what? It's true! Those working in the ag industry CARE. Every second of every day we're on the ball making sure our stock have everything they need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment